As if one overtime wasn't enough in the Class B boys state basketball tournament semifinals wasn't enough, the Malta Mustangs and Missoula Loyola Rams did one better.

Malta outlasted Loyola 90-88 in double overtime Friday at Rimrock Auto Arena, sending the Mustangs to their second championship game in the past five seasons.

Ostin Welch hit a 3-pointer to break an 86-86 tie and Jace Bishop later added a free throw for the 90-88 lead. Following a free throw miss by Hunter Love, Loyola had a desperation heave go long at the buzzer.

Welch finished with nine 3-pointers, which is believed to be a school record.

"That was crazy," Welch said. "I've never played in anything like it. I heard the crowd yelling ... I'll remember that forever. We expected a hard game, but nothing like that."

Nate Costin scored 33 points -- he has 72 points in two tournament games -- and Ostin added 29 for the Mustangs, who will play Anaconda in Saturday's 6:30 p.m. championship game. Anaconda needed overtime to beat Shelby 68-64 in the night's first semifinal.

Jack Lincoln pumped in 37 points for the Rams, who mostly played the game without leading scorer Parker Davis. Davis saw only limited action because of a leg injury sustained in Thursday's opening round.

Fisher Richardson added 23 points and Ryan McHugh had 17 for the Rams, who face Whitehall in a 9 a.m. loser-out game Saturday.

McHugh's basket with just over three seconds left in the first overtime send the game to the second OT. Loyola was done by 12 points early in the fourth before getting the game into the first overtime.

Anaconda 68, Shelby 64 (OT)

Braxton Hill scored 23 points and Kadin Stetzner hit the go-ahead basket in overtime to help the Anaconda Copperheads defeat Shelby 68-64 in the first semifinal of the Class B boys state basketball tournament Friday afternoon at Rimrock Auto Arena.

It's the first trip to the title game as a Class B school for Anaconda. The Copperheads' last championship appearance was in 1989 as a Class A team. Anaconda will take on Malta or Missoula Loyola at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

Logan Watson hit a 3-pointer with 1:30 left in overtime to give Shelby a 61-60 lead. Stetzner answered with a basket near the right elbow with 48 seconds left and 20 seconds later added two more free throws. The Copperheads then built the lead to 66-61 on two more free throws from Bobby Swainston.

"With the two teams going back and forth like that it got a little scary," Stetzner said. "But games like that are also fun. "I think people might have been overlooking us because of our record during the season (nine regular-season losses) but once we got here we just decided to have fun and do what we usually do."

Swainston finished with 18 points and Trent Mikalatos added 17 for Anaconda.

Shelby's TJ Reynolds, who scored a team-high 19 points to go along with 11 rebounds, sent the game into overtime by hitting a 3-pointer with three seconds left in regulation.

Shelby, which received an additional 16 points from Aaron White, drops into a loser-out game against Lame Deer at 9 a.m. Saturday. That game will be played at Billings Skyview High School.

Lame Deer 68, Cut Bank 66

Ahead by 21 points at one time, the Lame Deer Morning Stars needed a comeback of their own to stay alive.

Josh Wallowingbull hit a 3-pointer with 23 seconds left to tie the score, and Micheal Weaslebear nailed another 3 with five seconds left as the Morning Stars edged the Cut Bank Wolves 68-66 in a loser-out game Friday morning.

"I got the ball and looked up and saw the defender," said Weaslebear. "I pump-faked him, and I moved sideways. I felt it. It was a lot of heart basically. A lot of heart."

Troy Redsleeves scored 26 points and Trustin Two Moons -- who lost a tooth in the third quarter during a rebounding scrum -- added 13 points for the Morning Stars.

Cut Bank, which lost a 22-point lead and the game in a Thursday quarterfinal, trailed 31-10 at the end of the first quarter. But the Wolves rallied back to lead 57-48 on a basket by Kyle Brauhn with 7:20 left in the game.

The lead wouldn't hold, however, and when Weaslebear pump-faked and then drained his 3, the Wolves had one last chance. Evan Harrell's 3-point attempt from the corner rimmed around the hoop, however, sending the Morning Stars to another loser-out game in their quest for a third-place trophy.

Lame Deer plays Shelby at 9 a.m. Saturday at Billings Skyview High School.

Seth Omsberg scored 23 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead Cut Bank. Brauhn and Jaxon Ray scored 12 points each.

Whitehall 71, Lodge Grass 56

The game was close for a quarter, but the Whitehall Trojans ran away from the Lodge Grass Indians 71-56 in a loser-out game.

The Indians had an early lead but did not score a field goal for nearly 11 minutes as Whitehall outscored them 19-1 in the second quarter and and 19-14 in the third.

"I didn't realize that it was 19-1," said Whitehall senior guard Braden Larsen. "We just kept playing hard. We played with a lot of energy today. We like to play fast. The goal is to just win by anyway possible, whether it's by one (point) or 50."

Lodge Grass made a basket with 40 seconds left in the first quarter, but did not make another until six minutes were left in the third.

Four players scored in double figures for Whitehall, led by Max Feight's 23. Andrew Simon had 11 points and 13 rebounds, and Wyatt Alexander scored 13 points. Larsen added 11 and had seven of Whitehall's 17 assists.

The Trojans move on to play Malta or Missoula Loyola in a loser-out game at 9 a.m.

Lodge Grass was led by Darrian Backbone's 15 points. Tridell Dawes scored 13 points and Jericho Biglefthand finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Load comments