BUTTE — With just under two seconds left in the opener of the Southwest A basketball tournament and the game tied, Frenchtown’s Jared Cole launched a 3-pointer from the right wing that clanked out.

Corvallis’ Caleb Wamken hauled in the rebound but on his way down, was fouled. A half second remained on the clock and the Blue Devils got to shoot the front end of a one-and-one.

After a Frenchtown timeout, Wamken’s attempt rimmed out and the game was sent to overtime. The Broncs came out strong and were eventually pull out a 64-58 win.

“There at the end, we called a timeout, talked about rebounding,” Frenchtown head coach Mark Quinn said. “Said let’s hope the basketball gods are on our side.”

Trailing by 10 points at halftime, Corvallis opened the second half on a 15-0 run to take a 41-36 lead with under a minute left in the third quarter. The Blue Devils hit 5-of-12 shots from behind the arc in the second half and overtime, finishing with eight on the day.

Tanner Jessop ended with a game-high 21 points for Corvallis (4-of-6 from range) and was a key part of the run that got them back into the game. The Broncs were able to turn several of Frenchtown’s 11 second-half turnovers into points and runouts, giving them some of the quick points they weren’t able to get in the first 16 minutes.

“Sloppy game, kinda both of us, maybe the nerves were on us … we just both came out with an odd feel to the game,” Quinn said. “Then we came out in the third quarter and got a bunch of stops early on,” Quinn said. “But then we just could not score the basketball.”

Cade Baker was able to get a few shots to go down in the third quarter to help keep Frenchtown afloat and finished with eight points, three assists and three rebounds.

Devin Shelton was a huge part of Frenchtown’s defense, registering six rebounds and two blocks.

Wamken finished with 13 for the Blue Devils, while Garrett Brown added 11.

Zack Baker had a team-high 13 for Frenchtown, who will face Hamilton in tomorrow’s semifinals. Corvallis will player the loser of the Butte Central vs. Dillon.


The Beavers used a hot shooting night from nearly its entire roster to down Stevensville on Thursday evening in each team’s opener at the Southwest A district tournament.

The Beavers shot 30-of-49 for the game — including 15-of-23 in the second half — to overcome an early deficit against the Yellowjackets. Dillon will play Butte Central in the semifinals of the tournament on Friday night at 6:30 p.m. in the Maroon Athletic Center.

“I think the kids just kept adjusting a little bit and attack and staying after it,” Dillon head coach Terry Thomas said. “Because of that constant pressure I felt like we were then able to get some turnovers and some of their shots to miss and turn them into offense.”

In the early goings of the game, it felt as if the Yellowjackets might be able keep the game close. Stevensville’s Logan Roth couldn’t miss from the field early, hitting 3-of-4 attempts from behind the arc in the first quarter. He finished with 20 points and six total 3-point shots in an impressive shooting performance.

He ended up taking 15 shots — making seven — but as the game wore on, the Yellowjackets couldn’t keep up the pace. Dillon took the lead early in the second quarter and would never relinquish it.

Roth had eight points after halftime, but the Beavers were mostly able to quiet him down.

“We just try to get him to speed up by either getting up in him and making him drive to the basket, trying to get him a trap,” Dillon senior forward Michael Haverfield said. “Then he has to try and decide whether he’s going to pass it and then we try and get in the passing lanes and steal it.”

Haverfield finished with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting and added on six rebounds. The Montana Western signee’s presence helped keep the Beavers settle down after an up-and-down first 10 minutes of the game.

Justus Peterson added on 11 points for Dillon off the bench while Braden Anderson added another 10. Dylan Cervelli was also in double figures for the Beavers, scoring 10 points in 13 minutes and hit two 3-pointers that came at critical times.

“I thought throughout the game the kids did a real nice job of being unselfish and moving the ball around,” Thomas said. “It just took us a few minutes to get our offense going.”

Jordan Hansen covers prep and Frontier Conference sports for the Montana Standard. Shoot him an email at Jordan.Hansen@406mtsports.com or give him a shout on Twitter @jordyhansen.

Load comments