MISSOULA — Portland State's kicker Cody Williams knew the game could come down to him. 

As the seconds ticked down in the fourth quarter, his fellow Vikings were coming up to him telling him to get ready. 

With four seconds remaining, Williams drilled a 52-yard field goal to stun the No. 14 Montana Grizzlies, 22-20, on homecoming in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. 

As the kick sailed through the south uprights, the Vikings erupted, storming the field in jubilation, getting flagged for excessive celebration. 

"I’ve been dreaming of that moment for so many years," Williams said with a smile on his face. "I’m glad it finally came down to it and I was able to produce for the team."

Williams, a true freshman, is 7-of-8 on the year for field goals. His longest before Saturday was a 44-yard kick in Portland State's loss against Montana State. 

The Vikings hadn't won a game against a Division I opponent since Nov. 5, 2016 — against UC Davis. The Vikings hadn't upset a ranked opponent since 2015. Montana hadn't lost to Portland State at home since 1987. 

In the moments after Williams' kick went through the goal post, silence and disbelief swept over Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

"They came in and won that game. We didn't," Montana's coach Bobby Hauck said after the game. "That falls squarely on one guy and that's me. I didn't have a good enough game plan together, offense, defense or kicking. We didn't go out and execute the plan we had very well and consequently we're sitting here at 2-1 in the conference. I'm not overly happy with myself or our football team right now because I don't think we played very well. With that being said, this team we're not built to do anything but grind and try to find ways to win and we didn't do that today. It starts at the top. Bad job by the head coach."

Hauck added: "I'm going to have a hard time looking myself in the mirror."

Montana (4-2, BSC 2-1) started out flat from the very beginning. 

Grizzly quarterback Dalton Sneed coughed up the ball on the first play of the game, dropping the ball on a fake handoff to wide receiver Gabe Sulser. 

That was just the first of Montana's four fumbles. Portland State had five fumbles, but lost only three of them. 

"I don't remember one though where we fumbled it away four times," Hauck said. 

Sneed, who completed 10 of 28 passes for 122 yards and added 37 yards rushing, fumbled the ball again in the second quarter after getting sacked. Senior running back Alijah Lee had Montana's third fumble, coming in the third quarter when Montana was near midfield.

The fourth fumble stung even worse. Senior wide receiver Keenan Curran dropped the ball inside the 25-yard line when the Grizzlies were looking to expand their lead. Montana had a one-point, 20-19 lead, at that point in the game. 

It wasn't just fumbles setting the Grizzlies back. On Montana's second drive of the game, Portland State's Dylan Hanley blocked Eric Williams' punt. 

A Viking hadn't blocked a punt since 2016.

Portland State capitalized, going up 10-0 in the first seven minutes of the game. 

It could have been worse. 

From there on out, Montana's defense forced a three-and-out, three more punts and recovered two fumbles before halftime. The defense allowed only three points in the second quarter.

"Good job by the defense," Hauck said. "... I'm looking at, we had negative 5 yards in the first quarter and 55 yards at halftime. We're lucky, as badly as we played in the first half, we're lucky we weren't down 28-0. The defense did a good job of keeping us in it the first half."

Junior linebacker Dante Olson dominated defensively yet again. He racked up 19 tackles, two tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, a half-sack and had an interception on a Portland State two-point conversion attempt. 

Redshirt freshman safety Robby Hauck and senior linebacker Josh Buss both added 11 tackles. 

Montana got off to a hot start in the third quarter, as Olson forced a fumble on Portland State's first play of the game. Montana running back Adam Eastwood bumbled his way into the end zone six plays later for a 13-yard score to put the Grizzlies on the board for the first time. 

The Grizzlies took their first lead of the game two drives later when Sneed hit redshirt freshman wide receiver Samori Toure for a 41-yard touchdown. 

Portland State rebounded with a touchdown of its own before Montana took back the lead in the fourth quarter — another Eastwood rushing touchdown. 

Eastwood finished the game with 88 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries. 

"We came back and took the lead twice," Hauck said. "We answered. We just didn't finish it. They did."

He added: "We fought back and took the lead twice. It's not the effort. Fight is not our team's problem anymore. That's not an issue, I don't believe. Execution is."

Hauck said this game will take a little bit to move on from, but he'll make sure no one forgets what happened on Saturday. 

"I don't believe in forgetting it. I believe in suffering through it and going back and reviewing it," Hauck said. "You hear coaches sometimes, 'We're going to throw that game film out.' Nonsense. We're going to go back and we're all watching it in-depth, together and we're going to correct the things that we didn't do well enough. That starts with me.

" ... We're going to be absolutely ill when we watch this thing tomorrow."

Sign up for our Cat-Griz Insider newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Amie Just covers Griz football and Missoula-area preps. Follow her on Twitter @Amie_Just or email her at Amie.Just@406mtsports.com.

Load comments